3/14/11

AI Servo: the missing link

I had an a-ha moment today.

Ever since I was told I could change my auto focus point I've been playing around with doing just that.  But not with the greatest results.  Then I read that although you can change the AF point to be anywhere in the diamond, the focus works best on the camera if it's on the middle point.  Ok, so I tried that, too.  But how boring is always focusing your subject right in the middle of your shot?  Nobody wants that.   I just couldn't understand how to focus and recompose the shot with my AF point in the center only.

I kept reading and finally found the missing link.  Switching to the AI Servo setting allows me to focus and recompose while the camera keeps the focus on my subject.  And I've been trying to shoot mostly moving children in One Shot mode all this time.  Silly me.  I've seen AI Servo on my camera many times before and always thought, Eh that looks like some Italian word and it's probably not very important.  See what happens when you read your camera's manual?

Here in this shot I had the AF on the center dot, the camera in AI Servo, and I was shooting on continuous mode. Ben was swinging back and forth and I fired away.  Of course, he's dead center and this shot is nothing spectacular but I sort of get it now.  I have some practicin' to do.

ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/100, 50mm


In other news, who is this big girl and where did my baby go?
Lillian almost 23mos old
ISO 800, f/4.5, 1/320, 60mm

No comments:

Post a Comment