"Hey, that's a cool sling!"
That was the first thing Debbi said to me about 5 years ago when she saw me at Birch Street House & Garden in Roslindale. I was wearing Ben ( 3 weeks old ) in a fleece pouch sling and pretending to shop. It was my first time out of the house that day (close to 5pm). I had no shopping to do but needed a reason to get out so I ended up in Roslindale Village. I was frazzled - as new moms have a tendency to be - and was hardly capable of carrying on a conversation with a total stranger. But Debbi had a friendly smile and a baby around Ben's age ( a boy!) so we talked slings for a bit. The store owner asked if we wanted paper and pen so we could exchange information. We both declined. Wouldn't want to seem desperate for friendship or anything right?
The whole walk home I kicked myself for not getting her number. stupid! stupid! stupid! I swore up and down the next time it happened I would gladly ask for a number. ( being a new mom is like being on the dating scene all over again ). Just as I was about to turn the corner to walk down my street I glanced into the window of Boschetto's Bakery. There she was again!! I laughed out loud and marched into the bakery to ask this girl out. Turned out she was feeling the same way.
Fast forward three months and many playdates later. Debbi and I managed to sneak out for dinner without the kids. We were drinking wine and telling stories about old boyfriends when we realized that some of our stories were just a wee bit too similar. Well, Fate has a seriously funny sense of humor because it turns out we dated the SAME guy in college. I dated him first, then he transferred to her college and she dated him. Isn't that just a little too weird? We are forever connected by our poor choice in boyfriend! Seriously though, I feel so lucky to have Debbi as my friend and I'm so glad we exchanged numbers that day. She is one of the most caring and kind hearted people I know.
A lot has changed in five years for Debbi. She has three beautiful babies now and I had the pleasure of photographing them today!
Here are some of the highlights:





No comments:
Post a Comment