9/23/11

it's all about the light

I'm taking a Portrait class at NESOP this fall.  I had no idea there was so much to know about portrait photography.  The ins and outs of composition, posing, light patterns and more.  And finally, I can stop being so scared of that flash in my camera bag.

Fun Friday today was more about me than the kids for once.  A trip to the local camera store to rent a fun new lens for a big shoot tomorrow. Oh, and try to make sure two kids don't break anything in the shop. That's always a good workout.

Now the really fun part.  Practicing!

In traditional portraiture there are four basic light patterns.  Loop, Butterfly, Split and Rembrandt.   I'm sure I've taken photos with these patterns before, not having realized it.  Each pattern evokes are certain feeling or emotion.

Here, Lillian is demonstrating the split light pattern.  a la Phantom of the Opera, right?  Love it. Very dramatic. Shot with my fancy-mine-for-the-weekend-only 70-200 2.8 lens.



In the next shot Ben eats snack and demonstrates the Loop light pattern.  See that curved shadow coming off the right side of his nose? That's called a loop and is a result of side lighting. Could be from a flash, or, in this case, a kitchen window.


No light pattern here, just a super cute cat in the window. Love the really shallow depth of field that comes from a big aperature and a longer focal length!
ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/25, 200mm



On the lookout for Rembrandt and Butterfly patterns.....

No comments:

Post a Comment