9/7/11
enchiladas: busy mama style
Welcome to my latest edition of What's Cookin'! I wish I had more time to do these recipe posts, because they are fun, but kind of time consuming. This is my version of Busy Mama's Enchiladas. It's quick, easy, sorta healthy (contains beans!) and delicious. My secret ingredient is cream cheese. Even if you don't like cream cheese, I bet you like these.
First, empty all the cabinets so the kids have something to do. This is going to take you about 30 minutes to prep.
Second, find a good sous chef. Someone who's ready to really work hard for you in the kitchen....
Here's what you need, plus an onion that didn't make it in the picture. I used a whole pound of turkey and a whole can of refried beans which makes a lot. Easily 6 big servings. You could use whatever you like. Ground beef.. black beans.. etc.
First dice and saute the onion until soft. Then add the garlic and cook until fragrant
Add the ground turkey and cook until brown.
Add the refried beans, 4oz of cream cheese, a handful of shredded cheese, and a dash of enchilada sauce to a bowl. If you think of it, set your ingredients out ahead of time so they are room temperature. That really makes it a lot easier to stir.
I had some scallions laying around so I chopped those and put them in. Quick chef's tip, swish your scallions in water to rinse off any dirt. Then gently squeeze the water out before adding to your recipe.
Cover the bottom of your casserole dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce. Add the cooked turkey and onion to your bowl and mix everything together until combined.
You'll know you did it right if it sort of looks like your cat threw up.
Now, the fun part! Stuff your corn tortillas. The kids could potentially help here, if they're getting unruly.
It's important to use corn tortillas because they become a nice flaky texture when they bake. Unlike flour tortillas that just become a slippery mess.
Roll like this:
Place seam down in the dish.
Keep adding tortillas until your mixture is gone. I used about 12.
No need to be careful or neat. It's all going to end up melting together anyway. Some people say you have to fry your tortillas first so they don't crack like mine did. NOT necessary, IMO, but I'm not Mexican either. What do I know.
Pour the rest of your enchilada sauce over the top. I tried the Trader Joe's brand. It's think it's a little too spicy, but I'm kind of a wuss. I actually like the Old El Paso brand better.
Add your favorite shredded Mexican cheese blend.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Add sour cream, guacamole, tortilla chips, margaritas and serve!!
Labels:
what's cookin'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















No comments:
Post a Comment