12/19/11

Cookie Bake 2011

The annual Christmas Cookie Bake!  It all starts around 9am on a weekend morning before Christmas.

Well.... let me back up.

It really starts in November, soon after Thanksgiving.  Planning for the big cookie bake takes a lot of work.  Perusing cookbooks and magazines for the best recipes.  Making a list of possibilities.  Reviewing and editing. Making sure the final plate of cookies will have the appropriate mix of colors, flavors and textures.  Then the shopping.  Finding chocolate chips and sugar on sale.  Getting your coupons in order! Better yet if you can double them.  All part of the annual tradition.

This year, we sent our very youngest helper (Lillian) out christmas shopping with our least helpful helper (Daddy).  Although I was sad that not every family member would be present, I think it was a brilliant decision and the key to our success.  It's a nice idea in theory to have everyone around for cookie baking, but it's not all all fun & games, you know.  The kitchen gets really hot.  Extra bodies make it hotter.  Timing is crucial.  One distraction and the cookies are burnt.  Then Gigi starts swearing.  It's just not a place for young ones, really.

That said, we did let Ben stay this time.  This was the first year he was old enough to really help out.


dough balls waiting for the oven
yum

chocolate crackles with peppermint kisses
hot out of the oven

I didn't eat any.

Really. I didn't.

Five hours and three hundred sixty odd cookies later... Team gordon/soulia is ready for a drink.

I thought I wanted a decorating set for Christmas, but I think I take it back, Santa.  These antiques are actually pretty cool and seem to work just fine.

Thanks, Laura.

Ben has officially proved himself helpful and worthy of participating in the tradition.  Not sure how many years we have before he refuses to hang out with us so we must savor every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment